Especially during winter, soups can be an amazing food option. There are many different soup recipes to try if you are looking for something hearty and delicious to eat. One of these is potato soup, which is a highly versatile, simple and tasty soup to make. On this page, you can find an awesome potato soup recipe to try, with an ingredients list and step-by-step instructions.
As you will find out, there are numerous optional ingredients in this recipe. That is because with this soup, you can play around with different ingredients depending on what you like. This soup can be a nice way to start a meal. Also, depending on what you put in it, it can be a meal on its own. Now let’s begin with the ingredients and learn how to make this easy and appetizing soup.
Basic Potato Soup Ingredients
- One tablespoon of butter
- 3-4 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4 cups of chicken broth (alternatively; vegetable or bone broth)
- 3 tablespoons of cream (alternatively; milk)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional Ingredients for Extra Flavor
- Extra vegetables, such as leeks, celery and carrots
- Cheese for extra thickness and creamy taste
- Meats like ham, sausage or bacon
- Other protein sources, such as chicken, fish or shrimp
- Herbs and spices like paprika, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf
- Ingredients such as dill, garlic and parsley
Potato Soup Instructions
- Start making your potato soup by peeling and dicing up potatoes and the onion while melting the butter on low heat.
- After the butter melts, bring the heat to medium and add the diced up onion to the pot. Let it cook for about 3-4 minutes and then add the potatoes.
- Following about 5 minutes of cooking, you can bring back the heat to low and add the broth.
- Add your salt and pepper, mix it up a little bit and cover the lid. Let it cook like this for 30 minutes. To avoid overflowing, don’t forget to constantly check the soup.
- Lastly, add the cream and give it another mix. Then after 2-3 minutes of cooking. your soup should be ready to serve.
Recommended Soup Recipe: Authentic Greek Salad Recipe
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does my potato soup have no flavor?
There can be various reasons for this problem. If your soup has no flavor, it can be due to low quality ingredients. Also, if you are way too stingy with spices and salt, this can be another reason, as well. In addition, not cooking the ingredients long enough can cause this issue.
How do I thicken my potato soup?
When it comes to soups, one important factor is the thickness. After all that hard work, you wouldn’t want to end up with a watery soup. In this recipe, we are using flour in order to thicken the soup. Moreover, you can smash the potatoes so that they release their starch for some extra thickness.
Why do you add flour to potato soup?
Regardless of what optional ingredients you put into this soup, thickness is certainly one of the crucial factors for the end result. Basically, the reason why we use flour in this recipe is because we want to add thickness to the soup.