Especially during the colder months, a hearty and warm soup can be an excellent food to eat. Besides, if you have lots of leftovers, soups can be a great way to make them useful. Minestrone soup is a delicious vegetable soup that you can try out for that. With this soup, you can make use of the leftovers you have and end up with a tasty dish. Along with the versatility that it provides, it is a simple and appetizing soup option. Now, are you ready to try out this excellent soup and see if you like it? In this case, get all of the necessary ingredients ready and let’s begin preparing minestrone.
Minestrone Soup Ingredients
- 1 large onion
- 1 rib of celery
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 large tomato
- 1 cup leafy greens of your choice
- 4 cups of vegetable broth (alternatively; bone or chicken broth)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of pasta
- 1 cup of cooked beans
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt, thyme, oregano and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
Other Ingredients You Can Consider Adding
- Vegetables like carrot, potato, squash and peas
- Meat, chicken, shrimp or fish
- Cream or milk
Minestrone Soup Instructions
- Chop up the onion, celery and garlic, and begin cooking them with olive oil.
- After 4-5 minutes of cooking add the tomato and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Following this, add the vegetable broth and keep cooking.
- Next step is to add the pasta and once it is cooked enough, put in the leafy greens as well.
- Add the cooked beans and the seasonings, along with the lemon juice.
- Cook the soup for around 10 more minutes and serve it with grated parmesan cheese.
Recommended Soup Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie Soup: A Classic Comfort in Every Spoonful
Frequently Asked Questions
Does minestrone traditionally contain meat?
For many people, meat is considered a significant part of a filling dish. There are numerous soups that contain meat in it. However, minestrone is not one of these soups. Simply put, minestrone is a traditional vegetable dish whose authentic recipe doesn’t contain meat. So it can be an awesome dish for vegetarians. Besides, you can tweak the recipe the way you like and add meat if you want.
Why does my minestrone soup taste bland?
If you don’t have a lot of experience cooking, getting a soup’s taste right the first time can be difficult. In case your minestrone soup‘s taste is bland, there can be various reasons for this. One obvious one is that you may not be adding enough salt or spices. Or if you have modified the recipe, the ingredients you added may not be flavorful enough. Another reason can be not putting an acidic ingredient in the soup, like lemon juice.
What makes minestrone minestrone?
Minestrone is a soup that is quite versatile. In case you want to do so, you can change the recipe in many ways. You can add or change many of the ingredients. But are there ingredients that are very important in this recipe? Ingredients such as onion, celery, garlic, pasta and olive oil are among the things that make minestrone minestrone. In addition, there are other ingredients that are important for this recipe, such as tomato, beans, parmesan cheese and leafy greens.